In order to work at sea, you must have an appropriate seafarer medical fitness certificate.


You need an ML5 medical certificate if you’re:

  • the master of a passenger ship that does not go to sea (Class IV or V)

  • the master of a commercial vessel that does not go to sea

  • the master or a crew member of a small commercial vessel certificated for Area Category 2 to 6 (no more than 60 miles from a safe haven)

  • a crew member or anyone else (for example catering staff) who normally works on a domestic passenger ship (Class VI or VIA) that goes to sea

IMGP1871 copy.jpg

If you remain unsure about which type of seafarer medical you need, further information can be found on the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) website here.

Please read the FAQ section below to ensure you are fully prepared before your appointment. If you have any further questions, please contact me.